Men drafted for the service must go to the front unless exempted by the local exemption board. Each board will have a surgeon as a member. It will be his duty to examine every man drafted and to decide whether he is fit for arduous service of fighting.
Under the regulations being framed for the guidance of the exemption boards, men will be exempt unless they meet the following requirements:
- Be not less than 5 feet 4 inches nor more than 6 feet in height.
- Have practically perfect lungs, heart and kidneys.
- Have good hearing and good sight.
- Be free from chronic or mental disorders.
- Possess the normal number of fingers, toes and ears.
- Have no foot deformity; in this is included 'flat feet.'
- Have at least four molar teeth.