As many of our distant readers are unacquainted with the flourishing and beautiful little County of Whitley; we propose to give a few facts in regard to its Geographical position &c.
Whitley County was organized in the year 1838, contains 324 square miles, is bounded on the north by Noble County, on the east by Allen, on the south by Huntington and on the west by Kosciusko, and lies north of 41 degrees North Latitude.
In 1850 the County contained 913 dwellings, 941 families, 5190 inhabitants, 522 farms and 8 productive establishments.
Columbia City the County seat is situated on section 11 T. 31 R. 9 east, being nearly a mile N. E. of the Geographical center of the County.
Whitley County has 9 township, Cleveland Tp., on the S. W.; Richland west; Troy in the N. W.; Thorncreek in the north, Smith in the S. E., Washington in the South and Columbia in the center of the County.
The following Post Offices have been established in Whitley County.
- Columbia City, Samuel Miner Esq., Post Master
- Churubusco P. O. at Churubusco, in the S. E. part of the County (Smith Tp.) W. B. Walker P. M.
- Coesse P. O. (at Coesse) five miles east of Columbia City on the P. Ft. W. & C. R. Road, Joseph Root P. M.
- Colamer P. O. (at Millersburg) 12 miles S. W. of Columbia City.
- Fuller's Corners P. O., 6 miles N. E. of Columbia City, H. F. Crabill P. M.
- Laud P. O. 10 miles nearly S. E. of Columbia City, Thomas Neal, P. M.
- Saturn P. O. 12 ½ miles S. E. of Columbia City, James T. Jeffries P. M.
- South Cleveland P. O., 11 miles nearly S. W. of Columbia City, James H. Lee P. M.
- South Whitley P. O. (at Springfield) 10 miles S. W. of Columbia City, O. Carper P. M.
- Summit P. O. (at Huntsville) 9 miles west of Columbia City on the Railroad, H. McLallen P. M.
- Washington Center P. O., 10 miles south of Columbia City, Martin Bechtel P. M.