Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Charles Emerson Warnick (1900-1917)

Son of Lewis and Dora Warnick; born October 13, 1900, Coesse, Whitley County, Ind. Laborer. Enlisted in U.S. Regular Army February 23, 1917, Mankato, Minn. Sent to Jefferson Barracks, Mo.; assigned to 23rd Recruiting Company. Died of acute nephritis May 6, 1917, Post Hospital, Jefferson Barracks, Mo. Buried near Coesse, Whitley County, Ind. The first Whitley County boy to die while serving his country in the World War.

Gold Star Honor Roll: A Record of Indiana Men and Women Who Died in The Service of the United States and The Allied Nations in The World War 1914-1918 (Indianapolis: Indiana Historical Commission, 1921) Page 720. Contributed by Meredith Thompson.

Columbia City Post ~ Wednesday, May 9, 1917
Mr. and Mrs. Lewis Warnick, of Thorncreek township, received word Sunday morning from Jefferson Barracks, near St. Louis, Mo., stating that their son, Chas. Emerson, was at the point of death. Mrs. Warnick made immediate preparations to go to St. Louis and came to this city and took a west bound Pennsylvania train, but when she arrived at Plymouth she received a telegram that her son had died. The lad went west early this spring and enlisted in the U. S. army at Winona, Minnesota. He was sent from there to Jefferson Barracks, near St. Louis, Mo., for training, and one week after arriving there contracted the measles. He was indisposed for several weeks but finally was taken from the hospital in which he had been cared for and placed in a tent. The cold, damp weather did not agree with him and his condition became worse and the end came at the stated time.
Chas. Emerson Warnick, son of Lewis and Dora Ellen Warnick, was born near Coesse, October 13, 1901, and at his death was aged 15 years, 6 months and 23 days. He is survived by his parents and the following named brothers and sisters: Ethel Warnick, employed in Garrett; Homer, Carl, Lee, Nina and Hilda at home. The young boy was employed in Fort Wayne prior to the time he left for the west. The telegram received here did not state when the remains would arrive, but the parents expect them Monday evening. They will be taken to the Warnick home by Whitney & Stickler.
The mother returned home after the information reached her that her son was dead. It is a very sad case and the parents and brothers and sisters have the sympathy of the public.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always appreciated. Comment Moderation is turned on so your comment will not display immediately. If you are a spammer, your comment will never see the light of day!